In the Upper School English program, students actively engage with literary works, explore both content and form, and acquire sophisticated skills in analysis, writing, and public speaking. In English 9 and 10, students build strong critical reading, expository and creative writing, and assertive yet generous discussion skills. English electives in Grades 11 and 12 are semester-long courses focusing on topics in literature, analysis, and creative writing. Students apply critical lenses, develop literary awareness and appreciation, and demonstrate sophisticated expression of ideas in writing and in discussion. Reading lists feature a diverse array of works. In addition to robust Writing Seminars and Creative Writing Workshops, the Upper School electives include Speculative Fiction, Literature and the Environment, Literature of Black Joy, Transnational Literature, Classics in Society, Literature of the Asian Diaspora, Literature of Migration, Shakespeare and the Modern World, and Literature of Monstrosity. Beyond English department offerings, popular and award-winning programs in debate, journalism, and theater encourage students to deepen skills in performance and print.
All Grade 11 and 12 English electives may be used in preparation for the English Composition AP exam.
- Classics in Society
- Literature and the Environment
- Literature of Migration
- Gender in Literature
- Literature of the Asian Diaspora
- Speculative Fiction
- Literature of Monstrosity (Not offered in 2023-24)
- Shakespeare and the Modern World (Not offered in 2023-24)
- Transnational Literature (Not offered in 2023-24)
- Literature of Black Joy (Not offered in 2023-24)
- Literature of Comedy and Satire (Not offered in 2023-24)
- Literature of Pandemics (Not offered in 2023-24)