Lower School art teacher Joy Liberman will offer painting workshops for students in grades 5-12 at various skill levels. These workshops are open to current SPA students, and are designed to broaden visual awareness and assist in the development of skills with painting media. Lessons address individual goals and include technical instruction, warm-up exercises and group discussion. Small class sizes ensure individualized attention. Each workshop begins with an introduction and reinforcement of the use of acrylic paint media.
Courses begin with a study that introduces or reinforces a technique or style related to painting. A second painting focuses on content chosen by the student that incorporates these techniques and styles. View a detailed Course Description here.
If you have questions about the schedule or your student's placement, please contact Joy Liberman.
A guide to workshop skill levels:
- Beginning: Students grades 5 through 8 who have not painted with acrylic paints or who have very limited experience.
- Beginning/Intermediate: Students in grades 5 through 8 who have had some instruction with acrylic painting techniques and who have made several paintings.
- Intermediate/Advanced: Students in grades 9 through 12 who have had some instruction with acrylic painting techniques and have made several paintings.
- Advanced: Students in grades 9 through 12 who have done extensive work with acrylic or oil painting media. These students, after working on class studies, may work on independent projects with instructor's guidance.
All classes will meet at the Randolph Campus in the Upper School art studio. Please enter through the Huss Auditorium entrance. We are offering fall, winter, and spring sessions, each of which meets on five Sundays.
Maximum enrollment = 8 students
- Fall Session:November 3, November 10, November 24, December 8, December 15
- 10:00 a.m.-noon; Intermediate and Advanced Students: Working With Light /Reflective Surfaces -Micro-Macro
- 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m. Beginning and Intermediate Students: Working With Light /Objects Small and Large
- Winter Session:January 12, January 19, January 26, February 2, February 9
- 10:00 a.m.-noon Intermediate and Advanced Students: Working With Space / Deep Space - Shallow Space Interiors in Art
- 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m. Beginning and Intermediate Students: Working With Space /Above and Below - Far and Near Rural and Urban Landscapes
- Spring Session:April 5, April 19, April 26, May 3, May 17
- 10:00 a.m.-noon Intermediate and Advanced Students: Working With Color - What Color Are Clouds?
- 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m. Beginning and Intermediate Students: Working With Color - What Color is Water?
$395 per session
Students who must miss a class have the opportunity to attend both the morning and the afternoon class on the following Sunday. In the case of a student who must miss an entire session (e.g., due to serious illness), please be in touch with Cindy Richter at email@example.com about your options.
PLEASE NOTE - Many of the Workshops are already filled to capacity.