SPA's production of Into the Woods, this year's Upper School spring musical, is the recipient of 14 awards from the Hennepin Theatre Trust's Spotlight Program. View photos from Into the Woods.
This is the fifth year in a row that the musical has earned more than a dozen commendations. The 2018 musical, Rent, earned 19 Spotlight Awards, the 2017 musical, Guys and Dolls, earned 18 awards, the 2016 musical, Les Miserables, earned 14 awards, and the 2015 musical, Urinetown, earned 16.
Spotlight is an awards program for high school musical performances; throughout the school year, Spotlight evaluators attend participating high school's musical performances and awards honors to selected productions, ensembles, and individuals. These culminate in a showcase at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Minneapolis in early June.
The ensemble Spotlight Awards for Into the Woods include:
- Overall Performance: Honorable Mention
- Overall Production: Honorable Mention
- Ensemble Performance: Honorable Mention
- Acting Performance by an Ensemble: Honorable Mention
- Overall Technical Team: Honorable Mention
- Technical Crew: Honorable Mention
- Light and Sound Board Operators: Honorable Mention
The individual Spotlight Awards for Into the Woods include:
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Ethan Asis as Baker
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Ananya Narayan as Witch
- Honorable Mention Performance in a Leading Role: Max Moen as Jack
- Outstanding in Technical Leadership: Zoe Hermer-Cisek as Board Operator
- Outstanding in Technical Leadership: Ellie Dawson-Moore as Hair/Make-Up Design
- Evaluator Shout Out: Ben Atmore
- Evaluator Shout Out: Henry Vliestra
Congratulations to the entire cast and crew of Into the Woods!