Spartan fencing finished the 2018-19 season over the weekend by defending their overall State Men's Team Championship! This is SPA's sixth straight year earning the Men's Team State title. In addition to the state title, the Spartans also earned numerous team and individual awards!
SPA traveled to The Blake School for the Minnesota State High School Fencing Championships and were joined by teams from around Minnesota including Blake, Holy Family Catholic High School, Southwest Christian High School, Yinghua Academy, Minnetonka Fencing Club, Twin Cities Fencing Club, Center for Blade Arts, Fargo-Moorhead Fencing Club, Rochester STEM Academy, Youth Enrichment League, Chisago Lakes Fencing Club, and Eden Prairie.
Student-athletes competed in women's foil, women's epee, women's saber, men's epee, men's foil, and men's saber. The first event of the weekend was the individual competition on Saturday, February 23. Overall, the Spartans took home eight Top 8 finishes:
- Jackson Wittenberg '21 | 3rd place (men's foil)
- Ezekiel Lam '19 | 5th place (men's foil)
- Andrew Rose '22 | 6th place (men's saber)
- Abdelrahman Mokbel '20 | 8th place (men's saber)
- Mason Brooks '22 | the 1st place (men’s epee)
- Claire Kim '24 | 8th place (women's foil)
- Iris Shaker-Check '19 | 2nd place (women's saber)
- Naomi Wilson '20 | 7th place (women's saber)
On Sunday, February 24, the Spartans competed on teams in a "relay" event which is a direct elimination bracket. In this event, SPA won men's foil. See the relay team results below:
- Men's foil | 1st place
- Lam, Wittenberg, Aidan McVea '19, and Luka Shaker-Check '21
- Men's saber | 2nd place (varsity) and 3rd place (JV)
- Varsity: William Swanson '19, Rafael Barocas '21, and Mokbel
- JV: Rose, Samuel Zelazo '22, Tobi Polley '21
- Men's epee | 2nd place
- Brooks, Roan Chafee '19, and Jack Hlavka '22
- Women's saber | 2nd place
- I. Shaker-Check, Wilson, and Rebecca Ebert '22
- Women's epee | 2nd place
- Maggie Hlavka '19, Annie Hlavka '24, and Val Chafee '22
All in all, the women's team finished third in the Team State Championships and the men's team won the Team State Championship for the sixth season in a row.
Congratulations SPA Fencing and go Spartans!