On Saturday, February 2, SPA's Upper School Science Olympiad teams (Varsity and 2 JV teams) competed against in the regional tournament. Overall, the Spartans' varsity team placed seventh and qualified for the State Tournament which will take place on March 2, 2019 at Bethel University!
The regional tournament featured a diverse set of challenges created to test a range of science skills. There are nearly two dozen events to compete in with topics ranging from circuit labs to astronomy to mousetrap vehicles to geological mapping. In addition to the team results, several SPA students and pairs earned individual medals in their specific events. Regional tournament individual honors went to:
- Maya Choi and Rashmi Raveendran | 1st place for Write it Do it
- Richard Chang and Sameer Bijwadia | 1st place for Fermi Questions
- Abdelrahman Mokbel and Gabriel Konar-Steenberg | 2nd place for Circuit Lab
- Sammy Ries and Lily Nestor | 2nd place for Astronomy
- 1st place for Astronomy
- 2nd place for Astronomy
- 1st place for Circuit Lab
- 2nd place in Fermi Questions
Congratulations to all our Science Olympiads and go Spartans!