On Friday, May 18, #1 SPA boys' tennis advanced to the final round of the Section 4A Team Tournament. The Spartans matched up against the #2 Academy of Holy Angels, who were coming off a big, come-from-behind win against Minnehaha Academy.
Friday afternoon’s Final was as much a battle of attrition with the heat as much as it was a hotly-contested match. The Spartans started slow and were initially down in the first set of 6 of their 7 matches. However, thanks to convincing victories by Max Soll at #2 singles, Brian Orza/Luka Shaker-Check at #3 doubles, and Jeffrey Huang/Liam Lynch at #2 doubles, the team jumped out to a 3-0 team lead. Still, the team was down a set in 3 of the 4 remaining matches, making for an exciting finish. Ultimately, Kai Sih, the lone Middle Schooler on the team, fought from behind and battled the heat to earn the clinching fourth point. Also adding to the team's victory was Nate Sobotka at #1 Singles who recorded a well-earned three-setter and Duke Nguyen and Brennan Keogh at #1 doubles who came back a set to win their match. See full results below.
With the 6-1 victory, the Spartans are state-bound for a third consecutive year! SPA will play their first round of the Class A Team State Tournament on Tuesday, June 5 at Reed-Sweatt Family Tennis.
1. Nathan Sobotka(10) (SPA) def. Tommy Seitz (AHA): 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Max Soll(10) (SPA) def. Alex Coleman (AHA): 6-0, 6-0
3. Ian Gazich (AHA) def. Sameer Bijwadia(10) (SPA): 6-7(4), 3-6
4. Kai Sih(8) (SPA) def. Joshua Werle (AHA): 6-4, 6-2
1. Duke Nguyen (12)/Brennan Keogh(10) (SPA) def. Joe McGrane/Jackson Arms (AHA): 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Jeffrey Huang (11)/Liam Lynch(9) (SPA) def. Will Nicklay/David Kelly (AHA): 6-1, 6-1
3. Brian Orza(12)/Luka Shaker-Check(9) (SPA) def. Dominic Ball/Brendan Pasdo (AHA): 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish
2S, 3D, 2D, 4S, 1S, 3S, 1D