On Tuesday, May 1, boys' tennis earned a big conference win over Providence Academy, 6-1.
Even with Captains Duke Nguyen '18 and Jeffrey Huang '17 out of the match in order to give more playing opportunity to their less experienced teammates, the Spartans were still able to defeat Providence Academy and secure a convincing 6-1 IMAC conference match victory. All four new additions to the 2018 squad (Riley Tietel, Brennan Keogh, Jax Wittenberg, Luka Shaker-Check) made significant contributions to the cause with Luka’s effort being the most impressive, albeit in a close loss at 10-12 in the third set superbreaker. Luka showed incredible sportsmanship and class.
With the victory, the Spartans have an overall record of 3-1 and solidify themselves as #2 in the IMAC with a 2-1 conference record with wins over Breck and Providence; and the lone loss to The Blake School, favorites to win Class AA State.
1. Max Soll '20 def. Cormac Marini (PA): 6-2, 6-3
2. Nathan Sebotka '20 def. Willie Hemler (PA): 6-1, 6-0
3. Peyton Menzel (PA) def. Luka Shaker-Check '21: 4-6, 6-2, 10-12
4. Jax Wittenberg '21 def. John Rosson (PA): 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
1. Liam Lynch '21/Kai Sih '22 def. Brendan McLaughlin/Daniel Caballero(PA): 6-0, 6-0
2. Brian Orza '18/Brennan Keogh '20 def. Shane Flanigen/Brendan Flanigan (PA): 6-3, 6-0
3. Riley Tietel '19/Sameer Bijwadia '20 def. Will Landwehr/Anthony Hayden (PA): 6-4, 6-3