Tuition and Financial Aid
There is no investment with a greater return than a child's education. Every SPA family makes an investment in their child’s tuition, and our robust financial aid program provides a bridge for families who qualify.
At SPA, we work hard to attract and retain the very best students. Our commitment to a pluralistic educational experience means creating a community that is as diverse in socioeconomic backgrounds as it is in interests, experiences, and cultures. As such, our student body reflects the broad diversity of families from the entire east and west metro area and beyond.
Because many factors guide financial aid decisions, we encourage families not to make assumptions about whether they are eligible, but to have a confidential conversation with our Admission staff. Through financial aid and payment plans, we strive to make SPA affordable for all families whose children have been admitted. In 2019-20, our financial aid budget is over $3.4 million, which includes scholarships awarded through SPA's Redleaf Scholarship and Malone Scholarship programs. In total, 24% of our families receive some level of financial aid in 2019-20, which consists entirely of grants that need not be repaid. The chart below shows the percentage of awards given to SPA families at various family income levels.
|Family Income||Percent of Awards|
|Greater than $150,000||26%|
Important questions and answers about financial aid at SPA are below. Families are invited and encouraged to contact Associate Director of Admission and Financial Aid Anne Marso at any time with additional questions.
SPA's tuition rates for 2019-20 are:
- Lower School (K–5) $28,510
- Middle School (6-8) $29,990
- Upper School (9–12) $31,110
The first step is to indicate an intent to apply for financial aid on your admission application. Parents then complete a Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) and submit it along with the appropriate fee to SSS. Tax forms and W-2s will be uploaded to your online application as indicated below.
If your child is an applicant for admission:
- Complete the PFS by February 15. Forms can be filled out online at the SSS web site beginning November 1st. SPA's school code is 6862. All parents must complete a PFS, and be sure to fill out all items fully and honestly and provide clear explanations of all the circled items.
- By February 15, upload to your SSS application: a photocopy of your 2018 federal tax returns, and copies of W-2s.
- As soon as possible, and no later than March 1, upload a photocopy of your 2019 Federal Income Tax Return with W-2 forms and all the attached schedules.
If your child is a current student:
- As soon as possible and no later than February 15, complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS). This can be filled out online at the SSS site. In separated/divorced cases, both parents must submit a PFS and fill out all items fully and honestly and provide clear explanations of all the circled items. Current families applying for aid for the first time should call the Financial Aid office at 651-696-1339.
- A copy of your previous year's taxes should already be uploaded. By March 15, upload a copy of your 2019 Federal Income Tax Return, including copies of your W-2 statements and all attached schedules to your online application.
Awards are determined by the SPA Financial Aid Committee using a standardized calculation derived by The School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS). This calculation considers income, assets, liabilities, family size and the number of children attending tuition-charging institutions. After allowances for living necessities and taxes, discretionary income is considered available for education on a sliding scale. Families with larger earnings and assets are expected to make greater contributions.
All information required for the application process is kept in strictest confidence.
Important financial aid deadlines to remember are as follows:
Intent to Apply for Financial Aid (for new families or those previously without aid)
Parent Financial Statement to SSS
Upload 2018 tax forms including W-2s to SSS application (for new families or those previously without aid)
Upload Signed, undated IRS Form 4506-T to SSS application
Upload 2019 tax forms to SSS application (for new families or those previously without aid)
Upload 2019 tax forms including W-2s to SSS (for returning families already receiving aid)