Each year, the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) recognizes the groundbreaking and inventive work of student journalists across the country with the NSPA Individual Awards. The competition is intense, with thousands of schools entering work from their journalists in each category and with 10 or fewer journalists receiving the honor. Last year, SPA had two finalists. this year, we have five finalist pieces honoring seven SPA journalists.
- Literary Magazine Page Design / Spread | Martha Slaven '20, Iris: Art + Lit
- Literary / Specialty Magazine Cover | Quinn Christensen '20, Iris: Art + Lit
- Comic Panel or Strip | Melissa Nie '20, The Rubicon
- Comics Journalism | Mimi Geller '19, RubicOnline
- Digital Story of the Year: Multimedia News Story Package (All Publications) | Marlee Baron '18, Mimi Geller '19, Koji Gutzmann '19, Sharee Roman '20
"Thousands of schools and their journalists submit work in this highly competitive contest, and to have five pieces of our work -- and seven of our journalists honored -- is unprecedented," says Director of Publications Kathryn Campbell. "I couldn't be more proud of their dedication to high-quality journalism, their innovative and experimental approaches to forms, and their collaboration."