Spartan Fencing closed out the 2017-18 season over the weekend by defending their overall State Men's Team Championship and earning numerous team and individual awards! This is SPA's fifth straight year earning the Men's Team State title.
SPA hosted the Minnesota State High School Fencing Championships in their home gym and were joined by teams from around Minnesota including Blake, Center for Blade Arts, Chisago Lake Fencers, Fargo-Moorhead Fencing Club, Holy Family Catholic High School, Minnesota Sword Club, Rochester STEM Academy, Rochester Youth Fencers, Southwest Christian High School, Twin Cities Fencing Club, and Youth Enrichment League (Wayzata).
Student-athletes competed in women's foil, women's epee, women's saber, men's epee, men's foil, and men's saber. The first event of the weekend was the individual competition on Saturday, February 24. Overall, the Spartans took home nine Top 8 finishes:
- Mason Brooks '22 | 1st place and earned his 2018 D rating (men's epee)
- Grant Gunderson '18 | 1st place (men's saber)
- Maggie Hlavka '19 | 7th place (women's epee)
- Ezekiel Lam '19 | 6th place (men's foil)
- Sabrina Rucker '18 | 4th place (women's saber)
- William Swanson '19 | 8th place (men's saber)
- Iris Shaker-Check '19 | 6th place (women's saber)
- Emma Truman '18 | 5th place (women's epee)
- Jackson Wittenberg '21 | 7th place (men's foil)
In addition to being judged individually, schools can also win team championships by weapon, which is based on the top 3 finishers in each event. These results are calculated based on the Saturday individual competition. In this category, SPA won men's foil, men's saber, women's saber, and women's epee.
On Sunday, February 25, the Spartans competed on teams in a "relay" event which is a direct elimination bracket. In this event, SPA won men's saber. See the relay team results below:
- Men's foil | 2nd place (of 9 teams)
- Lam, Michael Hall '18, Wittenberg, and Aidan McVea '19
- Men's saber | 1st place (of 4 teams)
- Gunderson, Jackson Wertkin '18, Swanson, and Liam Lynch '21
- Men's epee | 5th place (of 8 teams)
- Brooks, Roan Chafee '19, and Jack Hlavka '22
- Women's saber | 2nd place (of 4 teams)
- Shaker-Check, Rucker, and Zoe Hermer-Cisek '19
- Women's foil | 5th place (of 8 teams)
- Lark Smith '18, Melissa Nie '20, and Anja Trierweiler '21
- Women's epee | 4th place (of 7 teams)
- Truman, Hlavka, and Adrienne Gaylord '21
Finally, the JV team won third place in men's saber (Rafael Barocas '21, Peter Michel '20, Tobi Polley '21, and Sam Zelazo '21).
Congratulations SPA Fencing -- Go Spartans!