On Saturday, February 3, SPA's Upper School Science Olympiad teams (Varsity and JV) competed against 10 metro-area teams in the regional tournament. Overall, the Spartans' varsity team placed third and advanced to State! This is SPA's highest regional placement in the last five years.
The regional tournament featured a diverse set of challenges created to test a range of science skills. Some of this year's events included creating a working hovercraft, solving a microbial mystery, and a herpetology test. Students compete in events in pairs to earn individual medals and points towards their team score. Regional tournament individual honors went to:
- Isabel Dieperink '19 and Abby Lanz '19 | 2nd place for Anatomy and Physiology
- Lily Nestor '19 and Sammy Ries '19 | 2nd place for Astronomy
- Ben Mellin '18 and Ben Konstan '18 | 2nd place for Chem Lab
- Ben Mellin '18 and Larry Chen '18 | first place for Materials Science
- Michael Hall '19 and Abby Lanz '18 | 1st place for Microbe Mission
- Richard Chang '20 and Allison Audette '21 | 3rd place in Astronomy
- Asher Sobotka '20 and John Hall '21 | 3rd Place in Hovercraft
- Levi Mellin '21 and Henry Hoeglund '21 | 3rd place for Materials Science
- Ryan Strobel '20 and Melissa Nie '20 | 1st place for materials science
- Niko Liepkins '21 and John Hall '21 | 3rd place for Optics
- Levi Mellin '21 and Richard Chang '20 | 1st place for remote sensing
- Rashmi Raveendran '21 and Maya Choi '21 | 2nd place for Write it/Do it
The Spartans will compete at the state competition at Bethel University on March 3, 2018. Congratulations to all our Science Olympiads and go Spartans!