Welcome to St. Paul Academy and Summit School! SPA is an independent K-12 school with two beautiful campuses in the heart of Saint Paul's Macalester-Groveland neighborhood. At SPA, we work hard to deliver the tangible elements of an exceptional educational experience, but what makes our school unique is intangible. Parents and students tell us that they feel a particular kind of energy when they walk through our doors: an openness and warmth that reflects our values and our culture. We invite you to discover what makes SPA so extraordinary: our curriculum; the diversity of our community; and above all, our mission: to shape the minds and the hearts of the people who will change the world.
Application forms? Teacher evaluations? Testing dates? Financial aid? Our Admission staff is here to guide you and your family through the admission and financial aid process. Here you'll find important dates, deadlines, and forms, and an open invitation to call us at any time with questions. And since nothing takes the place of an in-person visit, we also encourage you to make an appointment to come by school and see our extraordinary students and teachers in action.
Academic excellence is at the heart of the SPA experience. In our accountable classrooms, students in all three divisions are challenged by what we believe is the best academic curriculum in Minnesota. And the results speak for themselves: a survey of recent SPA alumni/ae indicated that 94% of recent SPA graduates report feeling better prepared for college work than their college classmates. Caring support is a constant, but students will come to know hard work and high standards before they graduate.
- Lower School In Grades K-5, children are introduced to the fundamentals of academic inquiry within a safe, affectionate community.
- Middle School Academics in Grades 6-8 emphasize wide-ranging exploration and skill development, taught by teachers who genuinely care for students this age.
- Upper School The intellectual community in Grades 9-12 is characterized by advanced inquiry, lively discussion, and deep engagement with ideas.
SPA's mission--"shaping the minds and the hearts of the people who will change the world"--deliberately references both the brain and the spirit. This blend of minds and hearts is the foundation of our robust student life program in the Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools. In all three divisions, student life at SPA is designed to help students find their passions outside the classroom and engage with the SPA community and the wider world.
- Lower School Special events both in and out of the classroom are an important part of Lower School life for both students and parents.
- Middle School Student Life in Middle School reflects students' growing independence, evolving interests, and willingness to try new activities.
- Upper School The robust Upper School student life program helps students find their passions, pursue new interests, and become leaders in areas that excite and engage them.
SPA offers 17 varsity sports with additional teams at the junior varsity and C squad level, and 75% of Upper School students participate in one or more of these teams. Interscholastic athletics begin in Grade 5, and almost 80% of our students in Grades 5-8 participate in our Middle School athletics program. We consider the playing field an extension of the classroom, and gauge athletic achievement both on the outcome of games and on the sportsmanship, continued improvement, and leadership of team members.
Welcome home, Spartans! The St. Paul Academy and Summit School Alumni/ae Center is your place to connect with classmates, learn about what's happening at school and in the community, and support the SPA experience for current and future students. This is your community. We offer many ways to get and stay in touch with old friends, share your expertise, and tap into the incredible talent and energy that is SPA alumni/ae community.
Gifts to St. Paul Academy and Summit School help us fulfill our mission: shaping the minds and the hearts of the people who will change the world. Gifts to SPA are as individual as our donors: learn more about Annual Fund giving, planned gifts, Leadership giving, memorial and honorary gifts, and more. Giving is a choice, and so is how you give: online, by phone or by mail; with stock or a matching gift; a Reunion or recurring gift. Learn more about ways to give to SPA.