Director of Athletics (Grades K-12)
St. Paul Academy and Summit School believes that the pursuit of competitive excellence and success in athletics is central to our mission as a school, and an integral part of a complete educational experience.
Athletic competition is a powerful educational experience that promotes the development of leadership, self-confidence, sportsmanship, and commitment to a team, and it is in alignment with our mission of shaping the minds and the hearts of the people who will change the world. Our student-athletes are coached to work hard towards collective goals, to strengthen their individual skills and to persevere when confronted by challenges. Team sports at SPA are introduced as class activities in the physical education program starting in Grade 3, and interscholastic competition begins in Grade 5. The Middle School athletics program is very strong, with more than 88% of students in Grades 6-8 participating in at least one SPA team sport. In the Upper School, 80% of students compete on at least one SPA team, our varsity teams are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the state, and our athletes are regularly recognized through selection to regional and national team events. Annually, the school fields 90 teams in 17 sports, with teams participating in more than 1600 contests in 42 weeks.
After graduation, many Spartan athletes go on to successful careers in collegiate athletics. Since 2015, 15 SPA alumni/ae have gone on to play Division I sports in college, and another 39 participated in Division III athletics.
Spartan Trophy Case | 2018-19
- Football: The SMB Wolfpack, a co-op team between three IMAC schools, won the Class 4A State football championship in November 2018.
- Nordic skiing: Peter Moore '19 won the Minnesota State Nordic Championship in February 2019, the first SPA boy in school history to win the title. Moore was later named the Star Tribune's Boys Nordic Skier of the Year.
- Fencing: The men's fencing team won the State Men's Team championship for the sixth year in a row in February 2019.
- Tennis: The boys' doubles tennis team of Jeffrey Huang '19 and Brennan Keogh '20 won the Class A State Doubles championship in June 2019.
Teams and individual athletes qualified to compete at the State level in cross country, girls' swimming and diving, girls' hockey, Alpine skiing, boys' swimming and diving, and track and field in 2018-19.
- Girls' alpine skiing won the IMAC Conference Championship in winter 2019.
- Boys' swimming and diving won the St. Paul Conference Championship for the fifth year in a row in winter 2019.
- Volleyball won the IMAC Conference Championship for the second year in a row in fall 2018.
SPA student-athletes were the recipients of more than 85 All-State and All-Conference honors in 2018-2019.