1900: SPA's First Headmaster Charles N. B. Wheeler
Charles N. B. Wheeler, the first Head of School of St. Paul Academy, was hired by Charles W. Ames. Previously head of SPA's predecessor school, Barnard School from 1892-1900, Wheeler would lead SPA into the 1900's. While his teaching skills made him the person Charles W. Ames and others wanted, he had wrestled and ran track at Harvard University. At St. Paul Academy, he coached football, basketball and baseball.
1904: SPA on the Move
St. Paul Academy moves into its new building at 25 N. Dale Street, with limited outdoor athletic space. Head of School Charles N. B. Wheeler, who physically participated in whatever activity he coached, required students to play football and arranged to share a field at St. Thomas Academy.
1911: SPA Defeats Blake
On November 3, 1911, SPA football defeated Blake School. Following the game, Blake conceded their use of the blue and gold colors to SPA, which has stayed with the School to the present day.
1916: SPA Moves to Randolph Avenue
In 1916, SPA moved to 1712 Randolph Avenue, with 25 acres for athletic fields but no dedicated gymnasium or locker rooms.
1916: Founding of Summit School
Summit School was founded in 1916 with Sarah Converse serving as the school's first Headmistress. On September 11, 1924, Summit School opened its doors to its current location on Goodrich Avenue, significantly expanding their facilities and spaces.
1920: Max Sporer Hired
In 1920, Maximilian "Max" Sporer was hired. A mathematics teacher with a hand in buildings and grounds supervision, he became a winning hockey coach for many fine teams, and nurtured players who succeeded in college as well as high school. Sporer would become a fixture at SPA, coaching well into the 1950's.
1920: Summit Basketball Sees Success
Under the leadership of Coach Goette, Summit School basketball saw success in the 1919-1920 season claiming a big win against Backus 66-8 and a memorable game against Northrop. The team was captained by Abby Weed '20 and Elizabeth Moore '20.