Return to School 2020-21
To SPA families,
Welcome to SPA’s “Return to School" website. We have created this site to give the SPA community a broad outline of the routines, policies, and protocols that are a part of day-to-day life as we return to on-campus schooling. The site will be updated routinely throughout the year, and we hope you will visit regularly.
Our goal is to have every student on campus attending in-person class every day of the week as soon as it is safe to do so. SPA is committed to fulfilling our mission by delivering an excellent educational experience, whether on-campus, in Distance Learning, or in a hybrid model which blends the two.
This site also provides an overview of our data-driven approach to decision-making and the metrics which will continue to inform our decisions as the COVID-19 landscape inevitably shifts. We are also grateful for the guidance of Dr. Paul Anderson, our medical advisor, with whom we consult on the data and how it should impact our schedule and operations.
The health and safety of the SPA community is our highest priority. SPA’s ability to thrive during the pandemic depends on every member of the community doing their part to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This website includes a wealth of information about the many new routines and protocols that will define our life at school in the coming months.
Please pay particular attention to the Shared Commitment to Community Health, a set of expectations and guidelines that shapes our community life at school this year. We ask that every member of the SPA community commit to following these guidelines. We need your cooperation and your support to sustain a healthy and safe environment for our students, faculty and staff.
Bryn S. Roberts
Head of School
Shared Commitment to Community Health: The health and safety of the SPA community is our highest priority, and every member of the community has a part to play in helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Below is our Shared Commitment to Community Health. A family's agreement with this shared commitment is part of the process of setting up the Magnus Health app, which will be required for a return to in-person school (more information about the Magnus Health app is below). Students and families who are unable to agree to these terms will be able to attend classes remotely.
As a member of the SPA community, I agree to take active steps to protect the health and safety of every member of our community in the midst of this global pandemic. To protect myself and others in our community, I will:
- Show compassion, care, and respect for other members of the SPA community. I will seek assistance from the school to support myself or other members of the community during this challenging time.
- Monitor myself for symptoms of COVID-19 and complete the SPA health screening daily.
- Stay home if I am experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms and report these symptoms to the school.
- Maintain appropriate physical distancing while at school, including wearing a mask at all times in buildings on campus, and outside when physical distancing isn’t possible.
- Practice consistent hand hygiene. Avoid touching my face, mouth, eyes, or nose; avoid sharing materials; and minimize touching surfaces in shared areas.
- Prioritize getting a flu vaccine this fall, unless I have a medical reason not to.
- Read all school emails to stay informed about health and safety updates.
- Participate in testing and contact tracing as instructed to preserve community health.
- Adhere to isolation and quarantine instructions if I test positive for COVID-19, if I am a presumed positive, or if I am exposed to someone who has tested positive.
- Acknowledge that out-of-state travel may require me to follow additional public measures such as self-quarantining for 14 days.
- Encourage other members of the SPA community to follow all health guidelines.
- Demonstrate social responsibility by following public health guidelines in local businesses and public places.
Stay Safe Minnesota: A comprehensive overview of Minnesota's response to COVID
"Schools and the Path to Zero," published by the Brown School of Public Health in December 2020.
Safe Learning Plan: Guidance for school reopening, issued by Governor Walz on July 30, 2020
MDH Decision Tree: Minnesota Department of Health's guidance on when to stay home.
Schools and Childcare: COVID-19: The Minnesota Department of Health's overview of data for schools, including the 14-day case rate by county
Facts about Coronavirus: The Centers for Disease Control's COVID-19 information center
- Bryn S. Roberts, Head of School
- Dr. Jill Romans, Assistant Head of School for Student Development and Community Engagement
- Dr. Cindy Richter, Assistant Head of School for Academic Programs
- Max Delgado, Upper School Principal
- Virginia Andres, Middle School Principal
- Holly Fidler, Lower School Principal
- Mark Dickinson, Director of Operations and Security
- Chelsea Kimpton, Director of Finance
- Courtney Barker, Director of Human Resources
- Garry Clum, Director of Technology
- Ami Berger, Director of Communications
- Dr. Naomi Taylor, Director of Intercultural Life
- Mary Hill, Director of College Counseling and Academic Planning