Each spring, students studying French participate in the Le Grand Concours National French Contest sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of French. This year, French students in grades 7-12 took this written test, competing against students with similar levels of French. The exam tests students’ listening comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary in French. It is recognized as the toughest test one could take in French, and getting a medal is a tremendous achievement.
Additionally, on April 18, over 500 students from all over the state went to the University of Minnesota to participate in A Vous La Parole. This annual contest tests students’ pronunciation, fluency, artistry, and enthusiasm for the French language. Juries of French teachers and native speakers evaluate the participants in the categories of song, theater, and poetry.
The full list of SPA national-level award winners is below. Congratulations and toutes nos félicitations to these outstanding French students!
Grand Concours - National French Exam
Gold medal (95th percentile)
- Level 4: Samantha Gilats '24
- Level 5: Maggie Fried '23
Silver medal (85th - 94th percentile)
- Level 1: Olivia Fox '28, Sylvia Westra '28
- Level 2: Avi Coleman '27, Nico Martin '27, Isaak Senaratna '27
- Level 4: Raven Glaser '25, Claire Kim '24
Bronze medal (75th - 84th percentile)
- Level 1: Elliot Gilats '28, Alyda Overgaard '28, Zoe Wagner '28
- Level 3: Liza Thomas '25, Elizabeth Tuttle '26
- Level 4: Eliza Farley '24, Amalia Laguna '24, Violet Pitcher '26
A Vous La Parole - Blue Ribbon (highest honors)
- Level 4: Eliza Farley '24, Raven Glaser '25, Violet Pitcher '26
- Level 5: Maddie Fisher '23, Maggie Fried '23, Parisa Ghavami '23, Sila Liljedahl '23, Maya Sachs '23, Quenby Wilson '23