Middle/Upper School Parent Association
Welcome to the Middle and Upper School Parent Association!
The Middle and Upper School Parent Association (M/USPA) is a fun and rewarding way to continue to be involved in your children's experience as they move through the Middle and Upper Schools. The M/USPA offers a wide range of opportunities for every schedule and interest, and we encourage all parents to share their ideas, concerns and insights about how to make our organization better.
Want to get involved? Volunteer here.
The M/USPA is governed by an Executive Committee, comprised of officers and committee chairpersons, and meets on a monthly basis. In addition, there are parent representatives for each grade level that plan community-building events and provide volunteer support for various programs. No experience is necessary to join the Executive Committee or become a parent rep, just a desire to help benefit the SPA community. You may nominate yourself or any parent you think would be a great addition to the committee. The nominating and election process is described in our bylaws, below.
All Middle and Upper School parents are automatically members of the M/USPA and are encouraged to explore the participation opportunties that fit their family's often schedule. Whether it's an hour a week or an hour a year, all parents are welcome to join us in whatever way works for them. Participation opportunities include:
- Homecoming Carnival: Food Service, set up, and game management.
- Parent Social Host: Host your child’s grade level social event at your home. Funded by the M/USPA.
- MS Parent Social: Set up/Clean up.
- MS Social: Greet/Chaperone.
- Faculty & Staff Appreciation: Set up and assist with collecting food from parents at AM drop off. Afternoon clean up.
- Book Festival: Help with book purchases.
- Holiday Party: Set up and service.
- ValleyFair: Chaperone trip.
- Pizza Party: Assist with pizza and beverage pick up and service. Set up and clean up.
- Rendezvous Day: Assist faculty for this outdoor event.
- Widji Return: Set up beverages and treats and serve to returning students.
- Exam Breakfast: Set up and serve breakfast to upper school students during exam week(only one morning required).
The M/USPA is comprised of an Executive Committee, which meets once a month, and various committees which work on special events and programming and meet as needed. For more information, contact M/USPA President Ellen Konstan or Faculty Liaison Lucy Polk.
2017-18 Executive Committee
President: Ellen Konstan
President Elect: Catherine Guinan
Past President: Christine Sand
Upper School VP: Mary Indritz
Middle School VP: Kathleen Caoyonan
Secretary: Kathleen Goldstein
Treasurer: Liz Welsh
Communications Chair: Krisi Matenaer
Speaker Series Chair: Ave Green
Diversity and Inclusion Co-Chairs: Waverley Booth and Jo Chung
Athletic Liaisons: Steve Egly and Cathy Paper
Faculty Liason: Lucy Polk
Grade-level Parent Representatives
12th Grade Reps: Kathy Millerhaller and Laurel Stephenson
11th Grade Reps: Nicole Tietel and Tracey Tipler
10th Grade Reps: Beth Desnick and Angie Larson
9th Grade Reps: Sasha Aslanian and Jeff Conrod
8th Grade Reps: Nigel Endorf, Laura Johnson, Jason Ross, and Katie Sih
7th Grade Rep: Ipek Stephenson
6th Grade Reps: Mary Carter and Stephanie Galarneault
The M/USPA Executive Committee follows a set of bylaws that govern its operations and programs. These bylaws are voted on every two years by the entire Middle and Upper School parent body. View the bylaws here.