Lower School Parent Association
Welcome to the Lower School Parent Association!
SPA's Lower School is an extraordinarily warm and welcoming community, and the Lower School Parent Association (LSPA) sponsors programs throughout the year that give moms, dads, grandparents, and any other family members the chance to be a part of that community. It's important for parents to feel comfortable in school, particularly when their children are young, and being a part of the LSPA is a wonderful way to connect with the teachers, staff, and other students who are such a large part of the Lower School. The LSPA also hosts events just for parents, building friendships and a sense of community that last throughout the family's time in the Lower School and continue and grow as the student moves through the Middle and Upper Schools.
All Lower School parents are automatically members of the LSPA and are encouraged to explore the participation opportunities that fit their family's often schedule. Whether it's an hour a week or an hour a year, all parents are welcome to join us in whatever way works for them. Participation opportunities include:
- Serving as a Room Parent for the student's homeroom and acting as a liaison between the homeroom teachers and other parents.
- Hosting a grade-level parent social in your home.
- Planning special events that take place throughout the school year, including the Lower School Book Festival, the Art Adventure program, the Homecoming Carnival, and the used uniform sales.
- Working with the Middle and Upper School Parent Association (M/USPA) on school-wide parent events, such as the all-school parent social every spring.
- Partnering with the school on issues of diversity and inclusion as a member of the LSPA Diversity and Inclusion committee.
The LSPA is comprised of an Executive Committee, which meets once a month, and various committees which work on special events and programming and meet as needed.
2017-18 Executive Committee
President: Josephine Chung
President Elect: Melissa Doffing
Past President: Mary Carter
Secretary: Wendy Loomans
Treasurer: Connie Hall Bruun
VP Volunteers: Amy Atkinson
VP Communications: Diana Spurgeon
VP Special Events: Summer Johnson, Paula Guerra
Diversity and Inclusion Chair:
Room Parent Chair: Jessica Doody
Book Festival Chairs: Melissa Doffing, Heather Rossi
Homecoming Carnival Chairs: Sue Evens, Meghan Kimmel
School Adventure Chair: Aric Bieganek
Buddy Family Liaison: Katie Miltner
Box Tops/ Land's Coordinator: Martha Whiteaker
Faculty/Staff Appreciation Coordinator: Stephanie Coughlin
Used Uniform Sales Coordinator: Katie Miltner, Paula Guerra
Diversity and Inclusion Committee: Stephabje Galarneault and Eric Silva Brenneman
Volunteers Committee: Sally Cheng, Katie Miltner