During the week of November 13, 2017, all three divisions at SPA will celebrate reading, readers, writing, and writers during the school’s annual Book Fests, sponsored by the Lower School Parent Association and Middle/Upper School Parent Association.
On the Goodrich Campus, the Lower School Parent Association (LSPA) will sponsor four days of special programming, including:
- Book Festival Poetry and Prose Contest: All students are encouraged to exercise their creative writing muscles and submit a non-fiction or fantasy creature-themed entry to the Poetry and Prose competition. A winner for each category is awarded by grade level and winners will have the opportunity to read their winning piece during Family Night on Thursday, November 16.
- Used Book Drive and Sale: The sale will run the entire week of Book Festival, and all books will cost a quarter.
- Student Book Clubs: Student book clubs take place during Book Festival Week on Wednesday, November 15 from 8-8:45 a.m. and will be facilitated by a Lower School faculty member. Students choose from an array of grade-appropriate books tied to this year’s theme of "Magical Creatures: Real and Imagined."
- Parent Book Club: This year, our Parent Book Club will discuss A Crack in the Sea by H.M. Bouwman, a historical fantasy of adventure on the high seas. Our special guest for the evening is the author! The Parent Book Club will meet the evening of Monday, November 13 from 7-8 p.m. in the Living Room. Light refreshments, a cozy fire, and the author will be present. Sign up for a Parent Book Club.
- Family Night: The highlight of the week is Family Night, held on Thursday, November 16. All families are encouraged to join us from 3-6 p.m. for a wide range of activities. Browse the New and Used Book Sale and the Poetry and Prose Contest Showcase, play literacy games, and enjoy the photo booth, snack bar, and more!
On the Randolph Campus, the Middle and Upper School Parent Association (M/USPA) will sponsor a weeklong program of activities both on- and off-campus.
- The Used Book Sale will be held throughout the week in the Davern lobby. Please donate your gently-used books for the sale at one of two drop-off points at the Randolph Campus: in the Davern lobby and in the Huss Center lobby. Books may be dropped off until Friday, November 10.
- Parent Book Clubs: New this year! Parents may sign up for one of six book clubs led by SPA faculty and hosted at a parent’s home. Learn more or sign up for a club here.
- Common Good Books purchases: Book Fest is partnering with Common Good Books at 38 S. Snelling in St. Paul. When you visit Common Good between Monday, November 13 and Sunday, November 19 and make a purchase using code SPA2017, 25% of your total purchase price will be donated to the M/US Parent Association.
- Guest Speaker Michael Bazzett: On Monday, November 13, award-winning Minnesota poet Michael Bazzett will speak at the Middle School assembly at 8:10 am and the Upper School assembly at 9:25. Both events will be in the Huss Center auditorium, and parents and community members are welcome to attend. Bazzett will also do a public reading at Common Good Books at 7 pm on Wednesday, November 15, which is free of charge and open to the public.
- Poetry Out Loud competition: On Wednesday, November 15 and Thursday, November 16, Upper School students may attend SPA's Poetry Out Loud competition, in which students recite poems from memory, competing for a spot in the state competition. Both rounds will be held during X period in Driscoll Commons (Upper School advisories are invited to attend the first round on Wednesday).
- “Ernest and Celestine” screening: On Wednesday, November 15, the Film Club will host a screening of the animated film “Ernest and Celestine,” which is adapted from a French children’s book series by author Gabrielle Vincent. The screening will be held in the Lecture Room at 6 pm.
- Marathon Book Read: on Thursday, November 16, the Student Activities Council will sponsor the annual Marathon Book Read in the second-floor Summit Center.