SPA's production of Guys and Dolls, this year's Upper School spring musical, is the recipient of 18 awards from the Hennepin Theatre Trust's Spotlight Program, including Outstanding Overall Production.
Spotlight is an awards program for high school musical performances; throughout the school year, Spotlight evaluators attend participating high school's musical performances and awards honors to selected productions, ensembles, and individuals. These culminate in a showcase at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Minneapolis in early June.
This is the second year in a row that the SPA spring musical has earned the Outstanding Overall Production award in the Spotlight competition, and the third year in a row that the musical has earned more than a dozen commendations. The 2016 musical, Les Miserables, earned 14 Spotlight awards, and the 2015 musical, Urinetown, earned 16.
The Spotlight awards for Guys and Dolls include:
- Overall Production: Outstanding
- Achievement in Musical Theatre: Honorable Mention
- Overall Performance: Honorable Mention
- Ensemble Performance: Honorable Mention
- Vocal Performance by an Ensemble: Outstanding
- Acting Performance by an Ensemble: Honorable Mention
- Movement Dance Performance by an Ensemble: Honorable Mention
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Mary Grant
- Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role: Coleman Thompson
- Honorable Mention for Performance in a Leading Role: Leo Bukovsan
- Honorable Mention for Performance in a Supporting Role: JJ Gisselquist
- Honorable Mention for Performance in a Supporting Role: Jonah Harrison
- Technical Theatre Nomination: Lea Moore
- Evaluator Shout-Outs: Emily Schoonover and Henry Ziemer
- Overall Technical Team: Outstanding
- Costume Crew: Honorable Mention
- Technical Crew: Outstanding
- A/V Board Operators: Honorable Mention